Helping a family meet an immediate or seasonal need with a small, simple donation brings stability to that family, easing the burden of homelessness and allowing them to focus on more important long-term goals. Looking to donate today? Here are our most current needs (donations should be in-season, new or in very gently-used condition, and free of holes or stains):
- Baby Strollers & Front Carriers
- Diapers, Pull Ups, and wipes
- Children’s books from our Amazon Wish List
- Grocery store gift cards (Giant, Safeway, Whole Foods, Harris Teeter, and Target)
- Books for children of all ages, but especially board books for babies and novels for young adults
- Art supply store gift cards (AC Moore, Michaels, Utrecht)
- Gifts and gift cards for teens (Gift cards to places like H&M, GameStop, DTLR, Foot Locker, CVS, Starbucks, Target, other teen-friendly/metro accessible spots. For gifts, teens look for socks and underwear, jewelry, electronics, earbuds, skateboards, MP3 players, teen accessories & school supplies.)
- Prizes to provide to Teen Program participants as incentive for good behavior, accomplishments, and participation.
- Any of the items on our Amazon wishlist for one of our playrooms
What We Do Not Need
- Used stuffed animals
- Gently-used toys, until further notice
- Broken or incomplete toys
- Dolls that are Caucasian and do not reflect the population of children we serve
- Board games (we have a large supply)
- Worn or stained clothes
If you have clothing items to donate, please consider donating them at a MetroAid Bin near you! We are honored to have been selected as a benefactor of MetroAid, who gives a portion of funds raised though sourcing and selling donated clothing to Playtime Project!
Due to ongoing space constraints at our program sites and office however, we cannot accept gently used, in-kind donations at this time without prior approval. If you have goods you hope to donate, please email firstname.lastname@example.org in advance of delivery.
Please also consider making a monetary donation to the Playtime Project. General donations allow us the flexibility to meet the changing needs of families on a daily basis.
35 percent of adults in families experiencing homelessness are employed. For the remaining 65 percent, barriers to employment include inability to find affordable child care, expense of transportation, and lack of education or training needed for a competitive job market.