Tip of the Week: How Safe is your Playtime Snacking?
A delicious, healthy snack is one of the highlights of Playtime! However, we need to remember that even seemingly healthy snacks can be unsafe in some circumstances. To ensure that our kids are snacking safely, review the following pointers:
1) Make sure your site has a posted and updated list of kids who have food allergies!
2) Rinse fruits and veggies well before serving and gently scrub apples, bell peppers, cucumbers, etc. with a drop of dish soap to help remove pesticides.
3) When possible, get organic when buying strawberries, apples and grapes especially.
4) We should not give babies under age one any food without talking to the parent first.
5) No honey or dairy for babies under age one, and avoid easily chokeable snacks like raisins, grapes, other veggies that size, nuts, popcorn, peanut butter, etc. for babies.