Food Stamp Challenge: November 17-21
Join us in the Food Stamp Challenge November 17-21.
While living on a food stamp budget for just a week cannot come close to the the struggles encountered by families every day, we hope you will participate to gain a new perspective and greater understanding for the challenges many families in poverty face.
The challenge is simple.
- Budget $22.50 for meals from Monday through Friday next week and go shopping.
- Document your experience. What foods were within your budget? Which items did you have to give up? How would the experience affect you as a child? A parent?
- Show your support online and raise awareness among friends, family, and colleagues. Share photos of your grocery receipt & meals on a blog, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram using #HandHWeek, #FoodStampChallenge and #PlaytimeProject.
1. Budget $22.50 for all food and beverages you will eat from November 17-21, the average benefits a DC resident receives.
2. All food purchased and eaten during the Challenge week, including fast food and dining out, must be included in the total spending.
3. During the Challenge, only eat food that you purchase for the project. Do not eat food that you already own (this does not include spices and condiments).
4. Avoid accepting free food from friends, family, or at work, including at receptions, briefings, or other events where food is served.
5. Keep track of receipts on food spending and take note of your experiences throughout the week.
6. Invite friends and colleagues to join you!
- Join me in participating in
#ProjectPlaytime‘s #FoodStampChallenge to recognize #HandHWeek. @ProjectPlaytime http://conta.cc/1sO6VZ6
- I am participating in the #FoodStampChallenge for #HandHWeek – $22.50 to spend on food and drinks this week. Join me! http://conta.cc/1sO6VZ6
- 1 in 8
#DC households struggles w/ hunger. I am participating in the #FoodStampChallenge for #HandHWeek. http://conta.cc/1sO6VZ6
[contact-form subject='[Homeless Children%26#039;s Playtime Project’][contact-field label=’First and Last Name:’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Are family members or others in your household participating? If so%26#x002c; how many? ‘ type=’text’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Organizational affiliation (if applicable):’ type=’text’/][contact-field label=’Email:’ type=’text’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Social Media Handles or URL for Blog:’ type=’text’/][/contact-form]
Support us in supporting children and families who experience homelessness in DC. A donation of just $25 provides healthy snacks for one of our thirteen weekly programs.