You Made this 5K the Best Event Yet!
More than 170 “superheroes” ran and walked for play on Saturday, raising over $43,000 for children experiencing homelessness. All funds raised will support programming – including field trips, healthy snacks and arts/crafts supplies – at our four shelter locations across D.C.
WUSA9’s Lesli Foster, donned a cape and led the charge as our Grand Marshal. Lesli and Hyesook Chung, D.C.’s Deputy Mayor for Health and Human Services, shared words of support for Playtime and presented prizes to the top five individual fundraisers.
The winners are:
- Char Beales, a new Playtime board member, with $2,000
- Brian Janovitz, a volunteer with our Preteen Program at D.C. General, with $1,711
- Cena Smith, a new Playtime board member, with $1,540
- Joel Green, a new volunteer with the Big Kid Room at D.C. General, with $1,450
- Emma Roller, a volunteer with the Teen Program at D.C. General, $1,405
Congratulations and thank you to all our winners!
Thanks so much to on-air radio personalities, Asia of Majic 102.3/92.7 and Bacon Bear of WKYS who kept the crowd pumped up; to Shannon Martin, one of our Teen Room volunteers, who led stretching exercises for 5K participants; and to our volunteer photographers, Jordan Burns and Randall Myers. (See more pictures on our FaceBook page.)
And, of course, many thanks to the more than 30 volunteers and our event sponsors who helped make this event happen: