Ways to Get Involved
There are a variety of ways to give back to the children and families we serve living in temporary housing:
- Become a Holiday Sponsor! Purchase gift cards for children experiencing homelessness.
- Volunteer your time. We’re always looking for weekly volunteers to spend time at one of our temporary housing sites, working directly with children and teens.
- Give a monetary gift to enrich our educational curricula, and provide healthy snack times, parent outreach, volunteer training, and field trips. Consider becoming a sustaining, monthly donor.
- Donate goods that allow families to focus on setting and achieving long-term self-sufficiency goals.
- Gift Your Birthday for Play! Turn your celebration into action for children and teens experiencing homelessness.
- Advocate on behalf of D.C.’s homeless and at-risk families to protect them from further cuts to homeless services.
- Connect with us to stay up-to-date on what we’re doing and how you can get involved.
Volunteer training for Play Rangers occurs once a month, and keep an eye on our calendar for upcoming events and activities.
Statistic – The National Center on Family Homelessness
Homeless children are eight times more likely to be asked to repeat a grade, three times as likely to be placed in special education classes, and twice as likely to score lower on standardized tests. Youth experiencing homelessness are sixteen percent less proficient in reading and math than their peers